Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Instrument Panel Design


Here is my almost-final instrument panel design. I've already purchased most of the items shown, with the notable exception of the Dynon D10A EFIS. There is a modified 6-pack on the left, where the directional gyro has been replaced with the EFIS. This was done to satisfy several of my "needs" in a cost effective way. I wanted a 2-axis autopilot, a CDI for the NAV radio, and some kind of stall warning. The Dynon with the HS34 *should* work with the analog Collins NAV, to provide a very nice digital HSI. The Dynon also provides the autopilot function, with the purchase of the servos. Also, with the special pitot tube, the Dynon give an angle-of-attack indication, a step-up from just a stall warning.

The engine istrumentation is an I-K technologies AIM-1, it will monitor all 4 CHTs and all 4 EGTs as well as oil temp, pressure, and fuel pressure. I don't plan on using the fuel flow option. It also measures MAP. I plan on using a MGL digital tachometer and an MGL digital volt/amp meter. The fuel gauges will most likely be the analog display units from Vans. 

My handheld GPS will attach to a RAM mount on the right side of the cockpit, not attached to the panel. This will make it much easier to upgrade in the future. I can still use the GPS serial output for the HSI and the ELT.

A few funkier things, not shown, I am going to use NASA space shuttle -style switch guards on the master and ignition toggles. Also from Perihelion Designs, a nice red/white LED gooseneck lamp is mounted to the pilot side and can be directed at the panel or charts at night. Also, I have a "START ENGINE" pushbutton from a Honda S2000. 

No comments: